In the beginning... :-)

Hey there!

So I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog to document my hair journey since July this year, and yay! I finally got around to it this morning. I practically jumped out of bed at 5am and said "Let's do this!" :-)

My hair journey began officially in January 2013, after months of online research about relaxed hair care. I was tired tired TIRED of being stuck at shoulder length hair thin hair. I was natural until I went to college at 19 years old. I begged for the relaxer because even though I loved my natural hair, I had no clue what to do with it except plaits, boring! I had no clue about deep conditioning, moisturizing and sealing etc, if I knew then what I know now, maybe I would have stayed natural, hmmm...

Anyhow, I did love my relaxed hair in the beginning, but after hairdressers got a hold of it, it just became thinner, I would have good months of growth spurts out of no where, and bad months of, omgness, sigh.

During internship in Barbados, I learned about moisturizing and sealing, and low manipulation styles, and my hair took off. Then Rihanna went and got red hair, so yours truly had to do the same, hehehe. I loved it, and I don't regret it at all. But the 2 years of red rinsing took a toll, turns out the hairdresser was putting a permanent dye instead, without my permission! Arrrg!

And then it hit me,

My hair wasn't thriving because of hairdressers! It was time for me to learn to do my own hair myself!!!

In my research I saw ladies with my type of hair relaxed and natural at waist and hip length! All this time family and friends had convinced me that my type of hair (type 4) would never get past shoulder length, because black peoples hair doesn't grow, you have to be mixed etc etc etc what nonsense! And I've set out to prove to myself that I can do it, and maybe I'll help to set a positive example for other girlies with type 4 hair who have seemingly stunted hair growth, simply because we haven't been taught how to properly care for our hair.

Some of the hair experts that I found and helped me immensely on my journey are :

Long Hair Care Forum,
Traycee from keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com,
Jeni from justgrowalready.com, 
Freshlengths.blogspot.com,
Laila from fusionofcultures on youtube,
www.hairlista.com,
Blackgirllonghair.com.


Okies, so this was a looong post, next up, my progress pics thus far!
Thanks for visiting! 
And HHJ!

Xoxo,
Rachie :-)





No comments