Oil Rinsing... :-)

I've mentioned this "Oil Rinsing" in previous posts, so I figured it was best to do a quick little post explaining exactly what it is .

Oil Rinsing is a hair care technique I came across completely by accident in my experimentation phase, before I even knew what it was.

One wash day, early on this year, I was applying my usual conditioner after washing, when I noticed it just wasn't making the hair feel as soft as it normally does, not much "slip" either.

I was like:
Oh no! You mean I'll have to go search for another conditioner now?
Oh wait, maybe my hair needs clarifying so that the conditioner can work properly, or maybe I have too much product build up?

I was about to reach for the shampoo when I saw the jar of coconut oil I had left on the counter from earlier on that day.... And I had a thought: If oil provides slip when detangling dry hair, maybe it'll help with shower detangling....


So I took a handful of coconut oil (I'm in the Caribbean so its a liquid, not a solid) and rubbed it through my conditioner-saturated hair,
Result! Woot woot! It was so exciting!

My fingers went through the hair easily like a hot knife through butter. Awesome-sauce :-)

I proceeded to rinse out the oil and conditioner with warm water at first followed my cold water, finger-combing the entire time.
My hair loved it. It was extremely soft after it was air-dried.

I had been using this new-found method for some time when, about 2 months ago, I came across an article about "Oil Rinsing" while doing my regular hair care research. I learned that other ladies were doing something very similar. They were using the oil on freshly shampooed hair:

  • Using Oil alone and then rinsing with warm water OR
  • Using Oil after shampooing, rinsing with water, following up with a conditioner and finishing with a final warm water rinse.

One of the cons with this method, I'm guessing, is that it can leave some people's hair feeling greasy, this has not been my experience, but that's the thing with hair, not everything works for everyone, but there's no harm in trying!   :-)

All in all, my version of Oil Rinsing is a pretty simple process:


OR


FOLLOWED BY

(Any one of these 3 Oils is used, My favourite has to be the Coconut Oil)

FINGER-DETANGLE & RINSE with WARM WATER

=

Smooooooth sailing! :-)

I always thoroughly detangle my hair prior to washing, even if it takes over and hour, so the rest of the wash process goes smoothly. The less manipulation of my hair while damp or wet the better for my fine strands

So that's it in a nut shell!
Hope it works for you if you decide to give it a try.

Here's the link to the Oil Rinsing article I came across, check it out!
http://www.curlynikki.com/2013/05/oil-rinsing-for-smooth-shiny-soft.html

Xoxo,
Rachie :-)

No comments